Epoxy flooring offers a durable and reliable surface for industrial flooring of all types. Epoxy floor coatings are typically applied over concrete floors to provide improved performance, with a smooth and strong surface that is capable of lasting for many years with minimal wear.
A wide variety of warehouses, industrial buildings, and commercial facilities rely on epoxy floors to maintain a consistent level of safety and quality throughout the facility.
Preparing Floors for Polished Epoxy Coatings
Epoxy works best on porous and properly cleaned surfaces for proper adherence. You also need to patch and repair all chips and cracks prior to applying the epoxy. Epoxy coating is also incompatible with smooth, polished concrete floors, and the surface should be old enough to help with adherence.
If you want to test for sealant, you can do so by pouring small amount of water on the surface of the floor. If it soaks in, the floor doesn’t have any sealant. Also, it’s important to make sure the flooring is at the right temperature and to follow the specific manufacturer instructions.
Applying epoxy at the wrong temperature can cause bubbling and peeling on the surface.
You can apply primer like paint, and allow it to settle for several hours before pouring the epoxy. When installing the epoxy, you can first cover the floor with a thin layer of water and place all of the epoxy on the floor.
Then spread the epoxy with a long roller brush in a thin layer across the entire floor. Once the primer has dried you can apply the second coat.
The last step is to apply the finisher, which is accomplished the same way as the primer, only without water.
Here are some of the specific benefits you can enjoy once you’ve applied your epoxy coating.
Advantages of Epoxy Floor Coating
Epoxy floor coatings come with plenty of benefits to make them worth installing. Some of these many advantages include:
- A shiny and high-gloss surface with an increase of brightness of up to 200%
- Durable surface withstands continuous and heavy foot or vehicle traffic throughout a facility
- Easy and fast installation to minimize downtime when applying it to any floor
- Ideal for a wide range of industrial applications and warehouses, with no paint required over the epoxy finish in some cases
- Resists water and oil stains, and is easy to clean and form a seamless surface
- Lasts for many years once applied
- Is usable in combination with colors and paints to mask cracks and chips
- Custom graphics and logos are applicable, along with unique patterns to match branding and decor
- Patterns can be used to create designated walkways
- Little to no maintenance required once applied
These are the many benefits that your facility will see with high-quality epoxy flooring, in addition to other types of industrial flooring solutions.